ASSITEJ Canada is a membership-driven, non-profit, inclusive service organization. It supports and promotes the cross-cultural exchange of knowledge, development and practice in the professional performing arts for young audiences in order to increase creative co-operation and to deepen mutual understanding. ASSITEJ Canada, as part of ASSITEJ International, allows creators and presenters of work for young audiences across Canada to take part in international conversations and activities.
ASSITEJ Canada is an open and inclusive service organization developed for the purpose of providing leadership and support to professional groups and organizations that present or produce live performances for young audiences across Canada.
In this role, ASSITEJ Canada will:
- Endorse and foster the value of live performances for young audiences
- Connect and communicate with partners nationally and internationally
- Encourage new ideas and concepts for this specific profession.
- Share the excellent work accomplished by its members
- Promote the creation and dissemination of the work of its members
- Explore avenues to include associated communities such as academics.
- Participate in the development of cultural policies both national and international that reflect the role of live performances for young audiences.
- Provide bilingual communications and services in Canada’s official languages and others as feasible
Over the next five years, the objectives of ASSITEJ Canada are:
- To be a unifying, inclusive and open organization.
- To provide its members with services developed and crafted according to the needs they express
- To actively participate in all discussions on a national and international level which are directed towards cultural policy affecting live performances for young audiences.
- To bring together a solid, united and diverse membership base that is truly representative of the creators and developers of work for young audiences in Canada
- To be the recognised Canadian organization for all live performance arts for young audiences across the country and internationally.
What are the reasons to join ASSITEJ Canada?
- Engage with an organization that recognizes the value of performance for young audiences as well as its complexities.
- Have a place to share ideas and experiences.
- Inform, educate and advocate to the larger community (governments, school systems, sponsors etc.) the work that is engendered in the producing and presenting performances for young audiences.
- Join the larger international ASSITEJ network and be recognised as a valuable contributor to the global conversation around work for young audiences.
- Experience ASSITEJ Canada’s unique mandate that includes work for young audiences across all performing arts disciplines.
- Gain the unique opportunities offered through being a member of ASSITEJ Canada on a national and international basis, including workshops, seminars and conferences.
- Access current national and international Information.
- Exchange between researchers and practitioner about experiences working with young audiences.